What is inbound marketing and why do I need it?
Inbound Marketing is the opposite of outbound marketing, which consists of “pushing” your company’s messaging to others – cold-calling, TV ads, trade shows, fliers. It seems that every day, these methods hold less and less power.
Inbound is the process of “pulling” people in to engage based on their needs and wants. Examples of this include Blogs, podcasts, video, eBooks, enewsletters, whitepapers, SEO, social media marketing, and other forms of content marketing. Until your content is found, it is useless.
Here are five step to help your great content get found.
Here are 5 tools you should begin using immediately to help boost your Inbound Marketing:
- Use a keyword tool. You have to create content that people want to read or view. The Google Keyword Tool is an important component for any business as consumers enter keywords into search engines to find information and make purchases every day. This is important because you want searchers to find your company and website when looking for information related to your business. The tool allows you to enter keywords you want to rank for and provides closely related keyword combinations as well as suggests keywords used within the website you’ve entered.
Similarly, if you host your own WordPress blog, install Yoast WordPress SEO because the plugin will check for SEO by asking for a focus keyword, a SEO title and a meta description of the blog. This WordPress SEO plugin guides you through some of the settings needed, for instance by reminding you to enable pretty permalinks. But it also goes beyond that, by automatically optimizing and inserting the meta tags and link elements that Google and other search engines like so much.
- Set up Google Alerts. Know and listen to what is being said in your field of expertise or what is said about your company. If your reader know that you are listening, they are more likely to engage and participate. Go to this URL to set up an alert http://www.google.com/alerts
- Reach out to news feeds. Recently I submitted our blog post to the news aggregator Alltop. We got picked up and added to their news feed. Moral of the story, keep promoting yourself.
- Use Google+. Google will make it very hard to do great SEO without using Google+. Plus grew five times in 2012 and will probably have slower growth in 2012 but the stategy is set.
- Content that gets shared, wins. Make it easy to share. Include social sharing buttons at both the top and bottom of your blog post or alternately, use a scrolling option that moves down the page as readers scroll.
- Shared content provides an important entry points into your site, driving traffic from social sources.
- Shared content improves SEO ranking
Inbound Marketing will become the business tag of choice in 2013 because it is inclusive combining all the disciplines of blogging, e-newsletters, video and Social Media marketing as the old term “SEO” becomes too limiting for many professionals.
(Original displayed at http://24x7social.com/2013/01/06/5-steps-to-get-your-inbound-marketing-found/)